11 November 2018

New beta version of Open in WhatsApp (V 2.0)

-This is a new beta version which...wait a minute. Version 2.0?
-Yes
-Does it add the ability to change themes?
-No
-Does it detects the prefix number automatically?
-Not yet
-Does it allows to retrieve the list of recent calls?
-Yes, sort of
-Does it...wait what? Really?

Yes, you hear it right! This new version may not be a big visual addition, in fact just by installing it the main dialog doesn't change. However internally it contains the code to show the list of recent unknown calls, and believe me, it wasn't easy.
I hate (really hate) apps with absurd size, absurd permissions, and absurd ads. That's why my apps are are small as possible, with only the necessary... [yea, yea, we get it, go on].
This app had no permissions at all, and adding some when it is already published not only betrays my principles, but also you need to manually accept the update from Play Store, it isn't automatic. And I didn't want that, and for this reason until now this highly requested feature was never implemented.

But then I found a very easy, funny, and interesting way for it to happen, without adding the permissions. By having a secondary app with them, that second app is able to 'transfer' the permissions to the first one (because I own both, it is not possible to transfer permissions between random apps).
I had everything set, all working, but then...problems. It doesn't work with apps already in the Play Store without an specific setting (sharedUserId). And I didn't have it. :(
But I wasn't going to stop, I choose to implement it the alternative (and not so easy) way of having a secondary app which provide the service. This is a lot more prone to errors, but still. I'll fix them while I can.

So, this is the new feature you will find. In the about tab a new button with a small description will be shown. Clicking the button will open the Play Store of the new Addon, and installing it will show a new button in the main dialog (of the original app) with a telephone symbol. Click it, and the list of unknown recent calls will be shown...hopefully.

Now, more than ever, I need the help of you beta testers. This is a BIG update, and I can't risk pushing it to stable without being sure it is usable. Thank you.


The changelog is:
V 2.0
- Added compatibility with the new Addon (see details inside app)
- More info in 'about'
- Minor internal changes

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed before they are publicly visible. Any comment consisting of only just: one-word, phone number, single emoji, personal name, and other low-quality or obvious spam will be rejected and deleted.