08 May 2019

New version of Threedimensional Maze (V 4.0)

Surprise!

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trianguloy.cubicmaze


Most probably you don't know what this 'Threedimensional Maze' is. It is the first game I ever published to the Play Store. It was made with Unity 3.5.7, and it worked more or less fine, however as time went on, more and more devices were unable to install it (crash at startup) and although I made a VR version with unity 5 it was not a full update (all the camera-related were changed to work with cardboard).

This, on the other hand, is a full update, using Unity 2017 (the current latest long-term version). And although it was needed to make a lot of changes, it should provide the same experience but without crashing (which is a plus!).

There are no additions other than a 'battery saving mode' which was tested but never released. But there are a lot of internal changes that were needed to convert the 3.5.7 project to 2017, including some visuals. These changes mainly include:
  • Full rework of the UIs, from the old OnGUI to Canvas objects. The UI assets may have changed, as well as some position of elements, but hopefully they aren't very different.
  • Compass 'anti-fix'. On newer Unity versions the compass was 'fixed' and theoretically easier to use. However this broke my script, and I needed to find exactly what was the change to 'unfix' it. Not an easy task, but finally done.
  • Changed a bit the was things are saved. On the early days of the original game I was adding and removing features on almost each update, and so a lot of 'settings' were saved but ignored. I made the game to find these unused settings and remove them automatically, however on this version I was unable to make that work (for some reason it was disabling the saving of new settings).
  • Also some typos and small tweaks have been made while I was looking at the code (which was interestingly not bad written...strange, when you normally look at old code you made yourself the most common is to find 'wrong ways of coding' everywhere, and although I did found some they were just a few).
  • The apk size has increased a lot...and I mean A LOT (from ~8 to ~24 MB). I hope this is because I couldn't find a way to optimize the size, because if this is due to Unity and their sdk...


In the end this game is nothing more than a fun little project I made to test myself as a game developer. A bit creative, with horrible UI. I've been wanting to update it since a few years, and finally it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed before they are publicly visible. Any comment consisting of only just: one-word, phone number, single emoji, personal name, and other low-quality or obvious spam will be rejected and deleted.