09 December 2019

New version of Average data usage widget (V 2.1)

V 2.1
- Tweaks: experimental changes to modify properties of the widgets. Include common request such as white theme, widget with only data/date, keep bar at 100% and some more.



This was like a epiphany, after another user asked for white theme.
A lot of users have asked for minor changes, settings, to modify some properties of the widgets (one even asked something so simple I just made a custom version for them, the change was just a single word).
The problem with all these changes is that in order to let the user set them or not, I need to test them properly, add the setting in the configuration screen, change descriptions or other settings, check that it doesn't break other configuration, etc. This is still so much work for me and my free time, so I had decided just not doing it.

But then I remember something, some apps I use or have used contains a list of 'experimental' settings, a set of checkboxes that you can turn on/off to tweak different aspects of the apps, with a big warning 'These are experimental changes, use with care'. (think for example the 'flags' in google chrome or the about:config in firefox)

That was perfect. I had a list of minor changes that could be made, which maybe don't work in specific combinations, and which may change with future versions.

In about 2 hours I had a lot of requests already available and programmed in a very easy way that will allow to add/remove with ease, and even convert existing tweaks into full features in the future. I also even implemented a check in case a combination of them breaks the app, in which case all will be disabled. I know this seems a bit 'lazy', I could add the settings properly, but as I said I don't have the time to test everything so I prefer to give this 'experimental changes' instead of nothing.

Let's see how useful it is, and perhaps in the future I'll add more 'tweaks' (or you can submit your own, the code is available on github!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed before they are publicly visible. Any comment consisting of only just: one-word, phone number, single emoji, personal name, and other low-quality or obvious spam will be rejected and deleted.